Friday 13 March 2009

Dr. James Totten


August 9, 1947 - March 9, 2008

Dr. James Totten, B.A., M.Ma, PhD was my mathematics mentor during my years at UCC (now TRU) and beyond. I knew him simply as Jim. His door was always open - always. He delighted in talking mathematics and many afternoons we would caught up analyzing some problem or another or just discussing life. To us life was mathematics and vice versa. Many a time he would glance at his watch realizing it was past dinner time and remark that he'd better head home cause Lynne was waiting for him.

Lynne - his students were glad to have had that time with him and I apologize on their behalf if we ever kept him too late.

It has been just a little over a year since his passing but I still think of him often and truly miss his presence in my life. He had a passion for mathematics and for teaching mathematics that was unparalleled. In my humble little way I try each day in my classes to capture a bit of that essence and I hope that he is proud of what I do.

Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is putting on a conference called Sharing Mathematics - A Tribute to Jim Totten. The website for the conference is at http://www.tru.ca/sharingmath/index.html.

Jim - You inspired many of us to take up the baton of sharing mathematics and we do it proudly and in your honour. I am eternally indebted to you for believing in me and for igniting that passion. In sincerely hope you are sitting next to Erdos and reading "The Book".

I love you. I miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Home Boy, I found your new site and have been getting caught up on your posts: you have been living large!
    How is your leg healing?
    This post about Jim surprised me; what did he die from? He was only 9 years older than me....scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice acronym WebApe (WA). I don't know what it was from but it was sudden. I was still in China when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He died of a sudden heartattack with no prewarning. Thank-you for your nice words Darren and I am sure he is looking down proudly.

    Dean Totten

    ReplyDelete