Monday 19 October 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

Some memories of childhood are so pervasive that even through the hazy looking glass of a life that has been lived they are crystal clear.

Grade 2 Ms. (or Mrs.) Bunnell's Grade 2 class as we looked through the Scholastic book order with as much anticipation as the Sears Christmas catalogue. The Scholastic catalogue was a cornucopia of all the goodness that books had to offer a young child. I am not sure when I lost the passion (or maybe I just have less time) but when I was young I loved to read. Sure it was mostly comic books but just books in general especially new ones were particularly exciting. In Ms. Bunnell's class was when I saw the writeup and the front page graphic for one of the most well known children's books of all time, "Where The Wild Things Are."



What a beautiful book. A timeless classic written in 1963 by Maurice Sendak. He reportedly based the creatures in the book on relatives that would come over for weekly dinners. That makes it even more charming.

The movie adaptation by Spike Jonze was released this week and I for one am clamouring to see it. Hopefully our local cinema in Dalian takes pity and decides to show this one in English. I'd love love love to take the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment