Thursday 8 October 2009

Tibial Nail

This past week I entered in the Kai Fa Qu #3 Hospital to have the rod/nail (both terms are used) that was holding my broken bones together removed. It was held in place by several screws and as fate would have it one of them was broken. Bone had grown enough to hold it in place so I was unaware it had even happened.

The complications of the broken screw turned a 30 minute surgery into a 2 hour affair. Essentially an extra hole was drilled into my ankle to reach the broken piece and it was tapped out of the newly drilled hole. After all screws were removed the kneecap and patellar tendon were moved aside and the rod/nail was pulled from my tibia. I was fortunate to be able to keep the hardware and have brought it into my classes for show and tell.


I put a CD beside it to give a size reference.
Note the broken screw.



One more month on crutches to allow some bone to fill in the screw holes left behind and I should be back to walking in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment