Wednesday 15 July 2009

Sofa Surfer Girl

From the early 1980's I have been proud to call Scott Perry a good friend. Actually the summer of 1987 was a bit of an exception but merely a short respite. We had been roommates in our first year at UBC and we had enough of living together in the same jail cell sized room. However we returned the following year to the same floor in residence albeit in different rooms and all was cool. We spent a few nights and weekends jamming on our new guitars when we really should have been studying. I was merely a minor player and hanger-on to the greater talents of Scott, Jon Dawes and Dave Bessler. I knew then that Scotty had talent and definitely had desire and motivation to make his "music thing" work out.

He and Jon took that act down to Granville street for some weekend night busking. Some thought he had fallen on hard times and had resorted to this to make ends meet but that was far from the truth. It was a ton of fun and a great place to cut your musical chops. I hung with them a few nights but they were hardier souls than I and playing music really wasn't my thing anyway.

During that time he formed associations that later become the band Orbit in Bloom and they had a few great tunes (James Dean, In The Sun, I Hate Cops). Through these contacts Scott would eventually many years later find himself playing guitar for a band called The Orchid Highway. I may be incorrect on this point but I believe he was at first a drop in lead guitarist they tried out from time to time. His musical talent has now transformed that into a permanent spot in the band.

This past month they released the video "Sofa Surfer Girl" which has now been picked up and played on MuchMusic .. the Nation's Music Station. It is a great tune and I love the video as well.

Proud of ya Scotty!

Oh yeah .. Scotty is to your right with glasses, beard?, longish hair tied up and "something" in his hand

No comments:

Post a Comment